Fall In Love With More Free Templates! Click Here To Get Your Own Smitten Blog Design... »

Thursday, May 29, 2008

The life of a two-year-old

I found a little line-up of Kenna's animals in the hallway yesterday. She told me they were in timeout because they didn't listen. Hmm, wonder where she got that from? She is such a parrot sometimes and has a killer memory. Yep, that means BE CAREFUL mom and dad! A few weeks ago I sang in sacrament meeting. When I got done and came to sit down, Kenna hopped into my lap and said "you're a good singer mom!" I looked at Jacob to let him know I appreciated the prompt, but he was just as surprised as I was and said that one was all her own. Then she grabbed my face in her hands and said, "That was wonderful! I'm so proud of you!" It was the sweetest thing in the world! I was really trying to figure out where she would have got that from and then finally I remembered. Later on that day when Kenna had a great potty moment I heard myself saying, "That was wonderful! I am so proud of you!" I instantly knew where she got it from. Ha! I'm so glad to know that the positive things are remembered as well as some of the not-so-fun mommy moments like timeout.

Well, it's official. My little Allie can crawl! She finally got her coordination figured out. It is so cute. Fortunately she still is content to stay put for the most part, but when she fully discovers her mobility I am really in for it. She is constantly moving some part of her body. Whenever she's in her carseat, she kicks her legs and gets herself rocking like crazy. It is the funniest thing to watch. I sometimes forget about it, but whenever we're in public and she gets a-rockin' we manage to get all sorts of attention. Especially when she kicks so hard the carseat falls back and she gets stuck. So then she'll just sit there and kick her legs some more. Silly little thing! It has been so fun with her lately. Jacob and I often comment on how nice it is we can really enjoy her without all the fussing.

This past week we finished up getting the side of our driveway done. We put up railroad ties for the back support, then planted some bushes in the front and filled it all in with some pretty red rock. It ended up pretty good, I must say. Tons better than it used to be. Considering what we had to start with when we moved in, we have made vast landscaping improvements. I just really have a hard time paying for rock. What? Paying for rocks? Even worse is having to pay for a load of dirt. Dirt? Now come on. What's next? Paying for worms? Wait a minute, they do sell worms. If that's the case, I really need to get in the business. Kenna at least would love it. Last week I showed her a grub worm that was crawling on the driveway and it instantly became her new best friend. Nice. Way to go mom. Now, I really struggle with creepy-crawly things, but am trying to not give Kenna the same heeby jeebies, so ya, I showed her the worm. She carried that thing around all afternoon! She kept squishing it and telling us how cute it was. Cute is definitely a stretch. Um, not even in the same ballpark my sweet little princess. I can think of a whole slew of other words to describe a grub worm. I tried hard to remain optimistic without letting my detest of the grub show through. She showed anyone who came within 50 feet. I told her to feed it to the chickens but she vehemently declined the offer saying, "No, it will die!" Well, I thought, it would meet its demise either by being pecked or smothered to death. Now if I were the little worm, I would opt to just get the whole thing over with quickly by the chickens rather than a slow, painful death in the grimy little hands of a two-year-old, but whatever. We add the grub worm to a growing list of creepy-crawlies Kenna has had to manipulate and investigate. We've already had grasshoppers, ants, and regular old slimy brown worms. I'm not sure what I'll do when she wants to hold a snake.....

6 comments:

Kylene said...

I tell you what, I was saying those exact words this very day, "Pay...for ROCK?" We went to this rock yard place and I was floored at how much rock is selling for. The things we do for a nice looking yard huh.

Love the post. Kenna cracks me up. I wish I could have heard you sing too. I miss your beautiful voice. I saw your cute mom at Fredrico's last week. It was so fun to see her. We went down for a quick trip to see Tyra graduate. Your mom always makes me smile.

Glad to hear that things are going so well. Any chance your coming to the 10 year?

Rachel said...

That is so fun to hear the cute things kids say......I try so hard not to laugh when they say it, but sometimes I fail......and fail miserably! :)

The DeVito's said...

Hey Brittney!
It's Holly Meikle, from Smithfield. I found your blog from the class website. Your girls are darling!!

Davis Family said...

Britney Otte!! Jenna Christensen Davis is saying hi! Long time since i have seen your face! Your family is GORGEOUS and I love you to death!! check out my blog 3-ds.blogspot.com

Emily M said...

Hey Brittney- I also found your blog. It was so fun to see you at the reunion. Your little family is so darling. I love keeping in touch with people through blogging.

ps I still can't believe that you guys brought Brett and Chelsea's car back- it is a small world

Alison Daugs said...

Hi Jacob and Brittney- It's Alison Daugs. I hope you don't mind that I looked at your blog. I saw it on Julias list and wanted to see what you were up to. Your blog is very cute. I was hoping that you could tell me what site you got your background/template from? I have one and like it, but I am the Newsletter editor for the Elementary School in Mendon this Fall and wanted to use a blog, but I want to use one that is wider and fits more script on the page, can you get back with me via my blog at adaugslife.blogspot.com if you can give me advice.. I have only been blogging for a couple of months and still haven't found all the helpful sites. Thanks a bunch. Your girls are sure cute and growing up fast. Brittney- you are a great writer- good with words and how to make your post sound interesting. Good Job!