Fall In Love With More Free Templates! Click Here To Get Your Own Smitten Blog Design... »

Monday, October 19, 2009

Mom's Lesson

Being completely frank, little children are a lot of work. A lot. Around the clock, throughout the weekends, and even on holidays- go figure. And to continue with our frank little discussion, it isn't always easy. Stress builds as quickly as my laundry pile does. But then, thank goodness, there are moments that really make it worth it. Like when my girls dance for me when listening to their primary songs, or let out a giggle that seems to come up from their toes. Or especially when I am the one who gets to learn a lesson from my girls. This was the case yesterday. Let me set up the scenario for you:

Jacob's brothers Seth and Daniel came down for the weekend (We had a lot of fun with you! Considering they went with Jacob and the Teachers on an overnighter down the narrows in Zions and we only saw them for just a bit). I wanted to have a nice Sunday lunch and then let them get on their way back up the state. Well, the rolls were raising perfectly on the table and were about ready to go in the oven, when I caught Allie on the table punching them down. She got to about half of them. "ALLLLLIE! NOOOOOO!," I said (rather gruff) and I snatched her off the table. Well, Allie felt bad and started to cry. After all, I can only imagine what a fun little game it must be to punch down roll dough when you're two. In her cute little mind she was probably thinking, "hey mom, look what I can do!" Of course when you are the mommy running around trying to get everything ready and your rolls get pretty much ruined, it's not so much a fun little game. So, in all the commotion, Kenna stands her ground in the kitchen, shakes her finger at me and says with all the bravado of a soon-to-be 4-year-old, "Mom! Jesus tells us that we shouldn't get mad!" She gave me a good stare down. I had to let out a sigh, because really, she's right. I got down on my knees, gave her a hug, and said, "you're right Kenna, thank you for reminding me." It seemed to be a very simple moment, but it was so touching to me. I have really been trying hard lately to work on not getting angry so easy, and to speak softly. I have learned in so many situations that it really makes all the difference when it comes to dealing with people, and I know it especially makes a difference in the home. But back to the 'kids are a lot of work' I started out with, it isn't always easy to keep my cool. In fact, I could often easily get to a pretty good boil! But, thanks to the simple spirit of my little girl, the Lord gave me a very strong reminder. Really, the rolls still tasted good. They were just, well, ugly. In the end, rolls don't mean a whole lot, but the confidence of my two year old does. Sometimes you just have to let it roll. He he, no pun intended. I pray the Lord will continue to guide me in my efforts to as I try to do a little better each day.

4 comments:

Val said...

It's nice to know I'm not the only one that loses my cool! And thanks for the reminder to just keep trying harder to be the never ending source of patience!

Mana said...

Ditto what Val said :)

Emily M said...

Thanks for this post Brittney- i needed it. I find myseld losing my cool so easily with Brooklyn. I also need to talk softly!

Shanna said...

It is so good to find your blog. You have such a darling family. I agree being a mom is the hardest job on earth.