Since my back has been giving me troubles (again), I have frequented a few doctor's offices in the past few days. This morning as I sat waiting for an appointment, I listened in on a conversation that made a huge impression on me. This is one I feel I really need to remember (hence it's going in my history books. aka- the blog).
I was sitting on a couch, and directly across from me on another couch were two wiser women who, after a short time of eavesdropping, had obviously both lost their husbands. As I started listening in, I was so intrigued at what they were saying. I felt a huge stab in my chest as I realized I take so very much for granted. This one really got me. It went something like this:
"My husband never really liked to go grocery shopping with me, but when I got home he always came out to help me unload the groceries. Shortly after he died I had gone grocery shopping and when I came home, I found myself looking around as if waiting for him to come help me. I then realized...he wasn't coming. It was so hard."
The other lady soon followed with:
"One of the hardest ones for me was the first time the ward directory came out after he had died. I was sitting there in church looking through the directory and then when I came to my single name it hit me. I was so upset I had to leave."
I don't know why this particular experience hit me so hard. I felt as though I had just been hit with a ton of bricks. I felt such sadness for these sweet ladies. Mostly I realized how selfish I am. It's so easy to get focused on me, or the kids, or whatever else I think of poor little me, I don't take time to appreciate what I have. The adversary has an incredibly sly way of getting us to focus on the weaknesses and shortcomings of others that we don't take the time to truly appreciate their greatness. I never want to be a victim of regret and have to painfully say "you don't know what you've got until it's gone."
The thought came to me briefly that I was supposed to be there, right then at that very moment to hear what those ladies were saying. I needed to hear that. Perhaps I also needed this experience to help me realize just how much we need each other. You could almost feel a tangible connection those two ladies were making as they visited for those few brief moments. I have no idea of any prior history they have with each other. From what I could gather they had just met. But the connection they were making seemed to be very healing for them, even though throughout their discussion I learned their husbands deaths weren't recent. One had even remarried.
There are no coincidences in life. We are where we need to be when we need to be. In my case, I needed to be right where I was to hear those ladies talk about their dear husbands and make me realize I need to appreciate mine so much more. Those ladies needed to be right where they were to be a strength and a comfort for each other. For all they knew, I was lost in whatever as I pretended to be engaged in my phone. In reality, their words made a huge difference to me. Lesson number three: you never know who is watching you. We may very well be changing the lives of those around us when we think no one is even paying attention.
Our Father's Day was actually a very nice day. I was able to pamper Jacob a bit and spend time with both my own father and my father-in-law- 3 of the most incredible people I know. I am so grateful I was able to enjoy a beautiful day. If anything, I know that I really don't know just how blessed I really am. So grateful for my experience at the doctor's office to remind me even more.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment