It all started yesterday. Our Sunday morning was going seemingly well. Jacob had to run out to the farm and do something or other with the goats. I'm reaching goat overload so
Oh great. The Sabbath is a delight. Repeat to self.
Fortunately Jacob was on his way home and I told him he could come take care of another animal.
He was thrilled.
Time was quickly ticking away and I was getting behind at getting ready for church. Then the dog threw up. In my living room. Time got even further away. In the meantime, I was hollering at my youngsters to get dressed and find their church shoes. Lexi came out of her room sporting her boots. Her farm boots. "No no no my dear, try again!" And then I forgot about it.
FINALLY, we got out the door and were on our way to church when Kenna chimes up from the back of the car, "Mom, Lexi is wearing her boots." Suddenly I remembered I was going to double check on that before we left. Sigh. At this point I had a choice. Either take Lexi home to change and miss the Sacrament, or just keep on going and get in by the skin of our teeth. See for yourself how it panned out:
Hair curled? Check.
Dress? Check.
Tights? Check.
Church shoes? Um, church shoes? Ya. Not so much.
The Lord looketh on the heart.
So you're wondering about the dog, huh? Well, she wasn't improving so Jacob took her out to Young Ward to have Reed Hall the vet take a look at her. The vet says she was suffering from a collapsed lung and her prognosis wasn't looking too hot. We still have absolutely no idea what happened out there in the shed that could have caused a collapsed lung. But collapse it did, and as of last night, that is amen to our puppy. Fortunately the kids took it well and weren't too upset about it.
Rest in peace Mango:
Rest in peace Mango:
So here's the deal. I'm done and done and done with poor little animals suffering! It's too much for my wee little heart. I have made a vow NEVER to have a dog again. Ever. Please don't let me forget.
I thought we were done with animal drama for a while. Unfortunately it only lasted about 12 hours.
So Jacob headed out the door this morning somewhere around 5:30. A.M. to head down to Nevada for work. That means I vaguely recall hearing him get up but before long I was happily back in dreamland.....
....Until 6:15. A.M. My phone rang. It was Jacob.
When Jacob calls me at 6:15 A.M. something isn't right. Fortunately he was ok, but some new baby goats weren't. Benson had called Jacob because there were 6, count them, SIX baby goats born earlier that morning out in the freezing cold and needed some TLC.
....Until 6:15. A.M. My phone rang. It was Jacob.
When Jacob calls me at 6:15 A.M. something isn't right. Fortunately he was ok, but some new baby goats weren't. Benson had called Jacob because there were 6, count them, SIX baby goats born earlier that morning out in the freezing cold and needed some TLC.
Let's add a little insert here. I mentioned Benson in the above paragraph. Benson is a Saint. Benson should be officially knighted. Benson should be mentioned forever after in the book of time as being AWESOME! He has saved our bacon the past month or so with the goats. We are beyond grateful for all his time and energy in our behalf. If it weren't for him we Jacob and Seth and their beloved goat herd would be up a creek! He was headed out this morning to play ball with some friends when he had a thought to check the goats. A million trillion thank you's to Benson for heeding a small prompting to check the goats because he literally saved their lives. One of the babies had already died, so he frantically started picking up babies and getting them into the warm warmer granary to defrost. He got them in with their moms then had to start guessing who belonged to what!
I finally got there to deliver another heat lamp and see what I (in all my pathetic goat wisdom) could do to help. They actually were doing much better than I anticipated, but there was one little fella who was still really struggling so I scooped him up to bring him home to warm up.
Thanks to the fire and a good 30 minutes under the blow dryer, Jack Frost here warmed up. Yes, we named him. No baby goat is complete without a name, don't you know? I'm surprised the little guy really dared raise his head considering all he had to look up at was Lexi with her bed head. Yow.
Oh ya, this was in the middle of getting the girls off to school. They were troopers and got ready great and headed off to school. Meanwhile our little buddy Jack was doing much better so I decided he needed to get back with his mama. So Ty, Lexi and their mama got all bundled up to head back to the farm. Whose mother am I? Am I part goat? I'm really beginning to wonder. After this morning I certainly smell like one. Ew.
To make a long story short, after a bit of work I got Jack reunited with his mother and settled to where I think hope he would be ok. Then I had to turn my attention back to Ty and Lexi in the car. You never know with those two, so I always cringe a bit wondering what I'll come upon. Just to make the morning super extra special, Lexi found a pen in my car and decorated it a bit. Behold, Picasso:
Thankfully, a little rubbing alcohol when we got home made a big difference.
And well, I think that sums it up. Now on to Monday afternoon.....





No comments:
Post a Comment