Okay, much to blog about. Let's just dive on in.
CHRISTMAS. This year the girls were out of preschool and Kindergarten for the entire week before Christmas, so by the time it actually came we were VERY ready for it. Very. Here we are on Christmas Eve reading the Christmas story. The girls played a variety of characters. At one point during the week, Allie was really looking forward to being the donkey, but forgot about it by the time her big debut came. Donkey, really? Eh, it's Allie. So here are my two angels heralding the birth of the Savior. In fact, my smartie pants little Kenna actually took off reciting the scripture all by herself. They do listen to scriptures!
As I was crawling into bed Christmas Eve, I looked forward to a nice long sleep ahead. I thought to myself how glad I was that my kids were still young enough to not wake up at an insane hour to open presents.
Isn't there a phrase about not counting all your chickens before they hatch or something like that? Or don't put all your eggs in one basket? Or some other related phrase that eludes to the fact that you really shouldn't speak too soon?
Well, I spoke- or rather, thought- too soon. During the middle of the night I could hear Kenna stirring in the bedroom, and she managed to wake up her sister. I could hear little footsteps down the hall and then quiet little shouts of amazement to realize that Santa had made it! At this point I rolled over to check the time. 4:30. A.M. FOUR THIRTY IN THE BLESSED MORNING. Well my little theory went straight out the window.
"MOM," Kenna exclaimed. "You've got to come see the living room!" In return they got grunts and groans from Mom and Dad.
Uh-uh. NO WAY am I waking up. I think the girls realized it was futile. We finally convinced them to go back to bed for another couple hours. In our bed, of course. In our queen size bed. Four bodies in our queen sized bed. Two of which had a bad case of the squirms. Not the most restful sleep I've ever had, I must say. Maybe Santa should have stuffed a king size bed in his sleigh for us.
A little before 8 they woke up again. This time the sun was up so there was no denying Christmas morning had come! They were about to burst as they eyed all the gifts just waiting to be torn into. Since we have a little toddler in the house, not a single gift had been put under the tree before Christmas- that would have proven absolutely disastrous. So of course it seemed Santa had dropped his entire sleigh in the living room! He he. Insert here many thanks to our families who spoil us rotten.
We always start with our stockings. Perhaps Santa is very aware of the Christmas sugar rush, so he sent some new toothpaste and toothbrushes. Electric toothbrushes. Santa is one smart cookie- the girls LOVE to brush with their new toothbrushes. Like, 3-4 times a day brush. Who woulda thought?
Santa brought the girls a dollhouse. Kenna was just certain that Santa built it up at the North Pole. Much to Jacob's dismay, it seems Ty quite enjoyed the dollhouse:
But have no fear Dad, just give him a cookie and a new toy car, and he's back to being a little boy:
And here are the lovely ladies sporting their new dress-ups from Grandma Otte and their Fancy Nancy dolls from Santa. Kenna is Rapunzel and Allie is Tinkerbell. Nice pose Tink!
Fortunately since church was at 1:00, we had enough time to finish all our unwrapping, enjoy some cinnamon rolls for breakfast, and then get ready to head out to Sacrament Meeting. I have to say one of my greatest Christmas gifts was being able to sit by Jacob during Sacrament! Our ward choir put on a beautiful program, and the Primary even got to sing. Of course the girls did superb.
We came home to make a rush clean-up of the Christmas tornado so we could have the house somewhat presentable for some new move-ins in our ward to join us for Christmas dinner. It turned out perfectly delicious and was so fun having guests for Christmas.
I guess I have to say the only down spot was that it went entirely too fast. Oh, and Jacob was so sad to see the banana cream pie go entirely too fast as well. Thanks to his awesome wife, he had another one just a day or two later.
Aaaah. Another great Christmas down for the record books.
Now on to one of the most exciting events of 2011: The wedding of Uncle Karl and our new Aunt Julie. Stay tuned!
1 comment:
4:30!!
Darling pic's of a darling family.
Post a Comment