It seems, during this past week before Christmas, that amidst enjoying countless hours of Christmas songs, wrapping, and plates full of goodies from neighbors, I have also had this underlying current of sadness as I have noticed many different tragedies in the lives of people around me- both near and far. The news seems to be constant with tragedies of death and loss as well as great suffering caused by the hurtful actions of others. My heart aches to see many who are dealing with such overwhelming sadness right in the middle of "the most wonderful time of the year."
The other night as I was thinking about this, I had a thought pop into my mind about the whole reason we do all that we do this time of year. It all boils down to the night a perfect, tiny little being entered the world: The Savior. It hit me that at the very same time I am reflecting on the sadness and injustices and suffering in the world, I am also reflecting on the life of the very One who has come to deal with those very things. If ever we need a Savior, it is then. The times when anger at the actions of others seems to blacken my heart- it is then I need the Prince of Peace to soften my heart and take away the anger. Then is when I need to recognize He who has come to right every wrong, to correct every injustice. When the pain of loss is deep and overwhelming, it is then I need Him who has taken away the sting of death.
A few weeks ago in Sacrament the speaker was talking about the Savior and how we as a religious people are readily able to recognize Him as the Savior of World, yet often struggle with truly understanding that He is the Savior of us as individuals. Have I really come to understand that the Savior knows me personally and rely on Him not only for saving the world, but saving me in my personal afflictions and trials? In my own moments of despair, confusion, and error do I know that He is MY personal companion? I realized that although I can answer yes to this question, I have many gaps that can be filled.
This Christmas and throughout the new year I will be continuing on this journey. That I will do as the wise men did- they didn't just see the new star and believe in the Savior of the world, but they actually took step after step on what must have been a difficult journey to finally sit at the feet of the Savior and see Him, and know Him.
Faith Hill sings an absolutely beautiful Christmas song entitled, "A Baby Changes Everything." The very ending of the song says,
My whole life has turned around
I was lost but now I'm found
A baby changes everything,
A baby changes everything.
He changes everything for the world. He changes everything for ME.

2 comments:
Brittney, that was beautiful and just what I needed. You are amazing.
This is the perfect post...and just what I needed to read this morning! Thank you!
Post a Comment